Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage . . . They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.
~Psalm 84:5

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Wow

One of the first things we do in school each morning is say the Pledge of Allegiance and the Texas Pledge. So it was mandatory that we have both pledges posted on our Social Studies wall. The Texas pledge is simple enough, "Honor the Texas flag, I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

Well, I was surprised when my friend Tihiti told me that the Texas Pledge was changing. And I was even more surprised when a teacher's aide came around the second week of school and handed out a poster of the new pledge. First, I was shocked that our principal actually PURCHASED us all one. Second, I was surprised with the change that was made. The new pledge now is, "Honor the Texas flag, I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible" (emphasis mine).

Wow.

"One state under God."

It's nothing short of a miracle that that statement is added into our state pledge in the age that we now live in. In an age where people aim to remove "In God We Trust" from our money. In an age where people are working to take out the phrase "under God" from the American pledge. In an age where I can possibly lose my job if I even mention my faith within the hearing of the wrong ears. And especially, in an age where people have no clue what it means to come under the lordship of God.

"One state under God."

Wow.


2 comments:

Tirzah said...

yes! that is awesome!! if they aim to take God out of the american pledge (God forbid!), we can add it to our state pledge. it is never a good idea to take God out of anything, especially nowadays.

Eric Guel said...

Another reason why Texas should be its own nation. ;-)

In reality, despite the liberalism of Austin, Texas has always been very "God and Country"-centric. The addition doesn't surprise me; but it's a good thing for sure.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed by Lena