Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage . . . They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.
~Psalm 84:5

Saturday, April 10, 2010

FINALLY!!!




Good grief, can't believe that took nearly all day!!! But I definitely have the sense of accomplishment I always feel when I finish a book.

I began reading Lewis Carroll's tales of Alice's adventures over six months ago and picked it up here and there from time to time. The main reason I decided to finally read it is because it's probably the only major work of literature the bf had read and I had not. To be honest, I was not too concerned with reading it before because the Disney movie kind of freaked me out when I was a kid! So, no way was I going to willing read that thing!!! And the reason I was dragging my feet with finishing it is because after reading my friend Amy's tumblr post I realized Carroll just may have possibly had pedo tendencies! So every reference to Carroll's fondness for children, esp little girls, made me cringe. And how are people not more freaked out that he wrote these stories because of his obsession with a 7-year-old he was not directly related to?? And how do all these parents let their children go off with him and allow him to photograph them??? I don't know . . . perhaps the world was a different place back then . . .

Anywho, I did enjoy all the banter towards the end of the book. For example,
Here the Red Queen began again, Can you answer useful questions?" she said. "How is bread made?"
I know that!" Alice cried eagerly. "You take some flour--"
"Where do you pick the flower?" the White Queen asked. In a garden or in the hedges?"
"Well, it isn't picked at all," Alice explained: "it's ground--"
"How many acres of ground?" said the White Queen. "You mustn't leave out so many things."
Poor Alice!

Ok, onward I go. I need a break from the children's literature . . . I'm thinking I'll read a bit of Your Jesus Is Too Safe by Jared C. Wilson. I bought it back in July and have been picking at ever since (minus the 3 months I was out of the country, that is). I prob won't finish it tonight 'cause I need time to digest nonfiction. But I'll let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Wow, it is quite an accomplishment to finish Alice! Hope you enjoyed all your reading!

Brandi said...

Any hope of my reading Alice are now squashed. Bleach!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed by Lena