Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage . . . They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.
~Psalm 84:5

Thursday, September 16, 2004

Two Week Countdown

This time two weeks from now I will be sitting in Elaine's apartment in D.C. eagerly awaiting her return from work. Perhaps I'll be taking a nap or reading a book. It's highly likely I'll be journaling and processing all that I've experienced over the past three months. It's just as likely I'll be avoiding that arduous task because I'm afraid what the Lord may reveal. Whatever I'm doing, I'm sure my time in Bedford and at the Nightshelter will seem like a dream.

Some days it feels like I've been living here for years. Other days the time seemed to have flown by. No matter what I feel like, I know that I've been doing what the Lord has called me to do, so I find satisfaction in that fact. I'll miss Bedford and the Nightshelter and all my new friends, but I know my time here is over. I'm ready to go home. Oh, I'll probably still grieve when I say goodbye to people and I'll probably cry the whole plane ride, but I know it's time to move on. I still don't know exactly what I'm moving on to. Hmm...whatever it is, it'll have to be a job; or a rich husband, but the job is more probable. School loans. Yuck!

I came to the King's Arms to find out if working with the poor is something I could commit to doing full-time for at least a year. My seven weeks turned into three months, and I'm fairly confident this is something God is calling me to do again. I'm praying that I will be able to return for a longer period next year. I'm also praying for the financial miracle that will make that possible. As long as God is in control I don't have to worry about it. Praise the Lord!

The King's Arms Project manager, Mike, says that we're all called to take care of the poor. Whether you make loving and serving the poor your life or not, we should all make some room for them in our hearts and lives. I just pray that I will incorporate the lessons I learned here into my life in America, and I pray that I will learn and experience more in these last two weeks than I have all summer.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed by Lena