Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage . . . They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.
~Psalm 84:5

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

I'm a thief!

Allow me to share my recent indiscretion with you.
It all happened as I was driving home from class last night. It was 9 and I was a bit hungry. Then I remembered that I had a coupon for a free chicken sandwich with the purchase of a drink and fries. I got the coupon at work a month ago and yesterday was the day it expired. I figured I might as well stop since I was in that part of town.
I ordered my food and got an extra something for my mom. When I drove up to the window to pay, the guy handed me my bag of food and my drink, and I gave him my money and I asked for some condiments. He was talking and listening to he coworkers and just nodded as he rang up my order and collected my change.
As he gave me my change, he asked if he had given me my drink. I said, "Yes," but I still needed the condiments. He nodded again and turned back to collect the bits and put them in a small bag. As he handed me the bag I saw that it contained fries and shrugged as I thought, "I guess he just kept the fries in case I asked for ketchup or something." But as I started driving away I glanced at the first bag he handed me and noticed it was fairly large to just contain a chicken sandwich and a box of nuggets. So I checked the smaller bag and noticed there was a sandwich under the fries. Then I checked the larger bag and counted a box of nuggets, a sandwich, and fries. Uh-oh. By then I had already turned onto the highway and I didn't feel like turning around. Did I exercise my integrity by going back and telling the people they made a mistake? No. I kept driving. I know, I know, it was wrong.
When I got home I jokingly told my parents that I was on my way to hell. They asked me to explain and I did. My dad assured me that I wasn't going to hell; he should know because not only is he a pastor, he's the Baptist equivalent of a bishop for the greater Houston area.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed by Lena