Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage . . . They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.
~Psalm 84:5

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Random Memory

Recently I've been reminded of a funny thing that happened to me. True story. I think for full comic effect, I'll need to give background info. Picture me working at a company where I was just promoted to assistant to the President and I was learning the ropes of executive assisting and getting my new office in order... As a laid-back free spirit, I am somewhat out of my element and have gotten wise lectures from friends and co-workers about my overall professional demeanor (i.e., now I'm actually drying my hair before I get to work, and leaving my combat-type shoes at home). It's intimidating at first, but as long as I remember to be polite and call everyone Sir or Ma'am, I'm OK. Meanwhile, the company is dealing with its first real federal investigation involving complaints from customers and possible fraud -- it's a big mess. There are government investigators hanging out at our building all the time and asking us questions. Most of the issues came out of the department I was promoted out of, so I am not surprised when one of the federal investigators knocks on the door of my new office and asks if he can have a few minutes of my time:

Investigator: My name is Ralph.
Me: [standing up and extending my hand] Hello, how are you, Sir?
Investigator: [appears slightly annoyed] No, you don't have to do all this -- sit back down -- and cool it with the 'Sir.'
Me: [slightly frustrated because I know I'll probably never remember his name] OK... Dude.
Investigator: [laughing]
Me: [thinking, 'Hey, it's either Sir or Dude, take your pick...']

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed by Lena